How We Do It
We develop new ideas to fix public education and better serve all students focused on our five policy priorities [learn more here]:
- Resource Equity – so that funding goes to the students and schools that need it most.
- Teacher Quality and Preparation – so that teachers have the knowledge, skills, and support they need to help all students succeed.
- Accountability – so that we know what is and isn’t working, can channel resources to struggling schools and prepare all students for college and career.
- Public School Choice – so that all families can choose the public school that best meets their child’s needs.
- Higher Ed Quality and Affordability – so that everyone has a chance at more opportunities and a better life.
We study and analyze what is and isn’t working in public education today – and we develop solutions to fix problems and improve our schools for all students. Our research and policy proposals help drive the discussion on progressive education reform in Washington, D.C. and in statehouses across the country.
We lobby national and state political leaders to support and champion policies that will better serve all students, especially students of color and students from low-income families. We provide technical assistance in drafting legislation at the federal, state and local levels and help strategize the path forward for policies we support.
We build and sustain national and state-level progressive education reform coalitions to advocate for policy solutions we support. We identify and cultivate emerging leaders and constituent groups and aid in their growth and development. Each year we bring together a community of progressive ed reformers including lawmakers, academics and community leaders at Philos, our national convening.